Auto Accident Attorneys in Columbia, SC
For most of us, the most dangerous activity we undertake daily is driving in our cars. Most of us will, unfortunately, be involved in at least one car accident over the course of our lives. While we would hope any accident is minor, these accidents can often be serious and traumatic.
Contact the South Carolina car accident lawyers at The Williams Law Firm when you need assistance with a car accident or auto accident claim. While we are based in Columbia, SC, we serve every county in the state, from Beaufort to Pickens. It is highly recommended to work with an experienced lawyer, no matter how simple you believe your claim to be.
If this is your first automobile accident, you are likely in shock about the price, time, and frustration caused simply by trying to get yourself back on the road. Most drivers are not prepared to handle the disruptions to daily routine caused by auto accidents. Let The Williams Law Firm handle the hard work, so that you can focus on your recovery and treatment. Our goal is to make you whole again.
Why Should You Work with a South Carolina Car Accident Lawyer?
A lot of people choose to not contact a lawyer immediately following an accident, thinking a lawyer may be unnecessary. You certainly are not obligated to reach out to an attorney, but contacting a lawyer can improve your prospects for recovering the real compensation that you deserve. Retaining an attorney also provides peace of mind to many clients, knowing that their compensation is being pursued by a skilled partner with aligned interests. Our South Carolina car accident attorney helps out in the following ways:
- Investigating the facts of your crash. Whose fault is the accident? Liability in a car crash is sometimes unclear. When the fault clearly lies with one party, you need the right evidence to prove it. Your attorney can identify and collect this evidence. Obviously, with whom the fault lies can impact the amount of money that a car accident victim can recover. In our office, the investigation begins as soon as we are hired. We will collect physical evidence, photos of the scene, police reports, eye-witness statements, video evidence, and any other evidence relevant to your case. Let us get to work for you.
- Analyzing the applicable insurance coverage. We will immediately begin reviewing both your and the other parties’ insurance coverage to fight for every penny available for compensation following an accident.
- Pursuing your claim and filing a lawsuit. The rules governing filing lawsuits following a car accident can be confusing. You need to file your claim in the right way and against the right parties. Sometimes there are parties at fault that are not even present at the scene of the accident. We can help you determine if this is the case.
- Proving the extent of your injury and damages. If you suffer injuries in an accident and your car is damaged at the fault of another, you might think that the insurance company will accept this and process your claim. However, you will be required to prove the extent of your injury to ensure you are paid the proper compensation. It is important to be able to provide the proper treatment records to give the adjuster the best opportunity to do the right thing and compensate you appropriately.
- Negotiating on your behalf. Insurance adjusters and Defense Attorneys will reach out to you as soon as possible, offering you an amount that is far beneath the amount you deserve for your suffering. They do this in hopes of seizing the opportunity provided by the chaotic and stress-inducing circumstances following an accident. We will fight for you and, in an organized and persistent way, we will explain to the adjuster why you deserve more than they have offered.
- Litigating your claim in court. We are ready to fight for you throughout the entire process. From discovery and depositions to mediations, hearings and trial, we are here to fight for you.
Cell Phone Use and Rising Populations are Increasing Serious Injury and Fatality on South Carolina Roads
Car accidents and related fatalities have been increasing since 2012. Over 30,000 Americans tragically pass away each year, and that statistic is on the rise. In excess of 35,000 Americans died from traffic accidents in 2015.
As this trend continues, experts see technology as the best path forward to prevent death and catastrophic injury. Such technologies include:
- Electronic Stability Control: uses the brakes from each individual wheel to maintain balance and reduce loss of control.
- Lane Drift Detection: Alerts the driver or auto-corrects when the car is drifting to the other lane.
- Collision Warning Systems: Alerts the driver or auto-corrects when approaching an outside object or other car.
- Backup Cameras: Allow drivers to see behind them when in reverse.
- Side Collision Airbags: Intended to reduce head and other injuries caused by striking the side of the vehicle during impact.
While these technological advances are great, and presumably make cars safer, they have failed to correct the alarming trend described above.
Cell Phones and Future Advances
Cell phones are a likely culprit of the rise in incidents. The human brain is not designed to be able to text and drive. In 2014, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that eighteen percent or more of accidents are caused by a distracted drivers.
We will see where the technology takes us, perhaps to fully autonomous cars, but in the meantime it is every driver’s responsibility to operate their vehicle in a safe and responsible manner. When drivers fail to do so, people are injured or killed.
If you have suffered an injury at the hands of another driver or as a passenger in the vehicle of the at-fault driver, contact Williams Law Firm today, and let us get to work for you.
Types of Car Accident Injuries
The types of injuries suffered in car accidents will vary due to the type of accident, severity of the impact, and many other factors. Too often, treatment of your injuries may not be covered by your insurance. The Williams Law Firm fights for you to be compensated for your treatment and suffering. The following are examples of injuries frequently suffered in car accidents:
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Broken Bones
- Ligament Damage
- Soft Tissue Injury
- Spinal Cord Damage
- Permanent Disability
- Back Pain and Injury
The above is certainly not an exhaustive list of potential injuries, but simply provides a few examples of frequent car accident injuries.
Types of Compensation For Your Damages
There are different types of compensation, to which you may be entitled following a car accident. Depending upon the extent of your injuries, treatment, and the general facts surrounding the accident, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation:
- Medical costs: These types of damages are intended to compensate you for expenses that you have already incurred from your accident-related treatment.
- Future medical costs: This type of compensation is intended to ensure that you have the money to cover any expected medical expenses in the future.
- Loss of income: Intended to provide compensation for loss of income, whether just for a few days missed or you have to quit working altogether due to your injuries.
- Lost earning capacity: Intended to provide compensation if you are not able to follow the same career path that you were on prior to the accident.
- Pain and suffering: Intended to compensate you for your suffering or the suffering of your loved one.
- Loss of consortium: Intended to compensate you for the loss of companionship that too often accompanies serious injury.
- Loss of enjoyment: Intended to compensate you for any inability to partake in activities that you enjoyed prior to your accident.
- Punitive damages: These damages are intended as a monetary punishment to the at-fault party. Such damages will accompany cases when the driver has made an egregious error or bad decision.
- Wrongful death: Tragically, many people die in car accidents every year. If your loved one is killed in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for their death.
If you or a loved one has suffered from the effects of a car accident, contact The Williams Law Firm today. We are ready to get to work for you and your family.
What Should I Do Immediately After The Accident?
Following an accident it is important to take the proper steps and precautions to keep a clear record of events and ensure everyone’s safety.
- First and foremost, make sure that you and your passengers are safe. Ensure that nobody is seriously injured, and
- Make sure you and your passengers are in a safe location.
- After confirming that everyone is safe, stay at the scene, and obtain medical attention when EMS arrives.
- If you are able, take pictures of the scene.
- Cooperate with police
- It is best practice to remain silent to avoid admitting any sort of fault or entering any sort of informal agreement.
- Seek medical treatment at the Emergency Room or your primary care doctor as soon as possible following the accident.
- Hire an attorney to handle your claim.
- Refrain from repairing your vehicle until your attorney and an expert have had the opportunity to inspect it.
While we never guarantee any results, The Williams Law Firm can promise you that we will work hard on your behalf to earn the compensation you deserve.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire A South Carolina Car Accident Attorney?
It costs absolutely nothing for The Williams Law Firm to start working on your case. When we represent clients in car accident cases, we work on a contingent fee. A contingent fee means that we are not paid unless we secure compensation on your behalf. Our payment is based on our agreement at the onset of representation, when we will agree on a certain percentage of the secured compensation. This arrangement ensures that your interests and our interests are entirely aligned. We aim to get you the most amount of money in the most efficient manner.
If you have more questions, take a look at our How It Works page.
Contact The Williams Law Firm Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you have suffered from a South Carolina automobile accident and you or your loved one have been injured, contact us as soon as possible. Don’t wait. Let us get to work for you as soon as possible. Contact The Williams Law Firm’s South Carolina Auto Accident Attorney today!