Personal Injury Attorney In Columbia, SC
Accident victims are often left with financial burden, emotional distress, and serious injuries. If you think that your accident may have been caused by someone else’s actions, contact a South Carolina injury lawyer to help fight for the compensation you deserve.
People are too often taken off guard by an accident. While some accidents can be minor, others are life-changing. Sometimes accidents are our own fault, but many times this is not the case. We are often injured by the careless acts of others.
It’s a shame, but people are injured every day by the carelessness and reckless acts of others. If this happens to you, you will quickly realize that you need compensation to help cover the high costs and suffering that you are forced to endure.
How Should You Seek Compensation After An Injury?
It may seem easy to file a claim with an insurance company. However, it is important to understand the stakes when dealing with an insurance company. It is in the insurance company’s interest to settle the claim for as little amount of money as possible. Many times, the insurance company will offer you a quick settlement amount. It will probably sound like a lot of money to you at the time, but what you do not realize is that it may be a fraction of the compensation you truly deserve. Without the advice and guidance of a lawyer, you may unintentionally forfeit the opportunity to recover any or some of the compensation you are owed.
It is important to retain a lawyer to fight on your behalf, because the attorney will help in the following ways:
- Investigating the facts of your accident. Liability can sometimes be unclear. When the fault clearly lies with one party, it is imperative to collect and introduce the right evidence to prove liability. Your attorney can identify and collect this evidence. Obviously, with whom the fault lies can impact the amount of money that a personal injury victim can recover. In our office, the investigation begins as soon as we are hired. We will collect physical evidence, photos of the scene, police reports, eye-witness statements, video evidence, and any other evidence relevant to your case. Let us get to work for you.
- Identifying additional liable parties. Personal Injury claims are rarely “cut and dry.” Many times the liable parties are not on the scene at the time of the accident. It is important to fully dive into the relationships of all potential parties to the suit, and determine who might be liable for your injury.
- Analyzing the applicable insurance coverage. We will immediately begin reviewing potential insurance coverages to fight for every penny available to compensate you following a personal injury accident.
- Pursuing your claim and filing a lawsuit. The rules governing filing lawsuits following a personal injury can be confusing. You need to file your claim in the right way and against the right parties. Sometimes there are parties at fault that are not even present at the scene of the accident. We can help you determine if this is the case.
- Proving the extent of your injury and damages. If you suffer injuries in an accident, you might think that the insurance company will accept this and process your claim without a problem. However, you will be required to prove the extent of your injury to ensure you are paid the proper compensation. It is important to provide the proper treatment records to the adjuster, and give her the best opportunity to do the right thing and compensate you appropriately.
- Negotiating on your behalf. Insurance adjusters and Defense Attorneys will often reach out to you as soon as possible, offering you an amount that is far beneath the amount you deserve for your suffering. They do this in hopes of seizing the opportunity provided by the chaotic and stress-inducing circumstances following an accident. We will fight for you and, in an organized and persistent way, we will explain to the adjuster why you deserve more than they have offered.
- Litigating your claim in court. We are ready to fight for you throughout the entire process. From discovery and depositions to mediations, hearings and trial, we are here to fight for you.
If you need someone to fight for you and help sort out the mess that follows an injury, contact The Williams Law Firm today.
Types Of Personal Injury Claims
Many types of accidents and misfortunes fall under the broad umbrella of Personal Injury claims. Some examples of such accidents are:
- Premises Liability. Sometimes property owners do not adequately maintain their buildings or land to keep them safe, and sometimes they create conditions that make them unsafe. This can lead to serious injury. Some types of injuries that fall under this classification are: slip and falls, electrical, chemical burns, drownings, etc.
- Car Accidents. Devastating events often follow a car crash. Car accidents can result in injuries ranging from minor to severe. Sadly, many accidents result in death. No matter the extent of your injuries, you will likely be left with expenses that are shockingly high. From medical treatment to car repairs, these expenses add up and cause detrimental strain on your finances. It is important to pursue the maximum compensation you are owed.
- Dog Bites. Dogs are loyal companions and great pets. Unfortunately, attacks happen and can cause serious injury. Oftentimes, the dog in question has attacked somebody before. Sometimes a dog’s aggression might be a result of neglect. If you are bitten by a dog without provoking it, you should be compensated for your medical costs and suffering.
- Medical Malpractice. Doctors and nurses are heroes. They work hard to protect us and often put themselves in harm’s way. Sometimes, though, medical professionals make mistakes that have devastating consequences. For years, and sometimes the rest of their life, a victim of medical malpractice might suffer. You may need to file a claim if you think that a doctor or other medical professional has caused you injury.
- Accidents at Work. Workers compensation benefits do not always cover compensation for accidents that happen while working. An attorney can help ensure that you are taking the right approach to receive all of the compensation you are owed.
If you have been injured in a Personal Injury accident in South Carolina, contact a lawyer at The Williams Law Firm today.
Types of Compensation For An Injury in South Carolina
It is important to understand the different types of compensation to which you might be entitled. We fight for every dime you deserve, because, whether you realize it or not, you will need it. We will seek compensation for your suffering, whether physical, emotional, or financial.
Some different types of compensation are as follows:
Economic Damages Resulting From Your Personal Injury
Economic Damages are intended to compensate you for any expenses or economic loss you have endured as a result of your accident. Such damages include:
- Medical Expenses
- Property Damage
- Lost Income
- Costs to Mitigate Damage
- Future Expenses
- Loss of Earning Potential
- Other economic costs
Many factors come into play when determining the proper amount of economic damages. These damages will often be calculated through estimates, expert testimony, and current economic numbers.
SC Personal Injury Non-Economic Damages
Non-economic damages are intended to compensate injury victims for physical, mental, and emotional suffering caused by your accident. These damages are more difficult to calculate because there is no clear monetary value like we have with economic damages. Damages included in this classification include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Permanent disfigurement
- Temporary disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment
These might not be damages that you think of when you hear about compensation for an accident, but let us assure you, they will be at the forefront of your mind. When you are suffering through them. This is why it is important to have a lawyer fight on your behalf, identify all potential damages, and seek the compensation you deserve. It is advisable to contact an attorney to help you calculate your rightful compensation.
Too often, a person that causes an injury has done so in a reckless or intentional way that gives rise to punitive damages. This type of damages is intended to punish wrongdoers for actions that are egregious or intentional. The logic behind punitive damages is to not only punish the defendants, but to prevent similar acts in the future.
A Williams Law Firm South Carolina personal injury attorney can help you determine whether punitive damages are a possibility in your case.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire A South Carolina Car Accident Attorney?
It costs nothing for a Williams Law Firm personal injury lawyer to start working on your case. When we represent clients in personal injury cases, we work on a contingent fee. This means that we are not paid unless we secure compensation on your behalf. Our payment is based on an agreement at the onset of representation, when we will agree on a certain percentage of the obtained compensation. This arrangement ensures that your interests and our interests are entirely aligned. We aim to get you the most amount of money in the most efficient manner.
Contact a South Carolina Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been involved in an accident, whether minor or serious injury has resulted, we know you’re suffering. You are suffering through pain, mental anguish, repair bills, medical bills, and just plain stress. Let us take some of the stress and day-to-day work off your hands.
We are here to work for you. You do not have go at it alone. A Williams Law Firm Columbia Personal Injury Lawyer will manage your case and stay in constant communication to keep you updated. Contact us today.